Sunday, April 3, 2011

RVs and 5th Wheels- Designers Needed

Two of my favorite relatives were in town this past weekend. They spend four months each year camping in Arizona. The rest of the year they spend in Michigan.

While in Arizona they live in an RV with a horse trailor attached to the back end. I'm not gonna lie, the whole rig is huge. We could barely find a spot to park it this past weekend at Devils Den with out having to trim some trees. They just bought there second RV. Linda (one of my relatives) and I started talking one night and she made the comment that the people who design RVs sometimes don't think about how someone uses the space when all the slides are in. Slides are what makes the RV larger when parked.

One example she gave was the fact that the kitchen counter has a rounder edge to it that runs parrellel to the refrigerator. When all the slides are closed there is no room to open the firdge completely. By illiminating the 4 inches of counter space, this problem could be solved. In anothor one of my relatives rigs, a 5th wheel, the refrigorator doors can't even be opened unless the slides are out..

Many rigs come with a full kitchen, washer and dryer, bathroom/shower, dining room table and chairs, at least two beds if not more a kitchen island...  One I stayed in even had a TV and boom box attached to the outside so they could watch football games. The ammonites are endless now.



I have camped in a few different RVs and 5th wheels. Not going to lie- Its awesome. I grew up old school camping. The kind where you pitch a tent and start a fire. I love camping both ways. The RVs do add an extra bit of flexibility the old school version does not.

No comments:

Post a Comment